Sunday, October 24, 2021

The games we play


One of the great joys of my life, is purging.  My family fears when I come to their homes as I often want to purge other people's stuff too.  Well, it is fun for me.  I find it to be satisfying to create space from giving things away.  Another joy of mine is a game I play: my objective is to use up everything in the fridge, freezer or from friends' gardens. I do not like waste.  I create meals from what I have in the fridge and cupboards and what I forage from neighbors with gardens, in this case my friend Susan.  Susan's garden has been a blessing this whole summer. She has shared lettuces, tomatoes, basil, peppers, squash, pomegranates, lemons, limes, figs, carrots, onions, shallots, garlic, beans, and soon it appears she will have yams and persimmons.

Where do I start - the game of living off the land, off the random leftovers in the fridge, the joy of creating using only what you have?  It is all fun and play for me.  Joe left on a golf trip Friday and I made up my mind that I will enjoy the week with no grocery shopping- using only what we have on hand....which is not much since I secretly been playing this game for some months.  Joe and I travel between Burlingame and Fresno and I do not want any food to be wasted and therefore we buy just enough.  With the slim pickens in the fridge, freezer and cupboard with and Susan's prolific garden I have been able to have friends for dinner on Friday and more than enough to have another friend on Saturday. In this game that I play, not only do I practice moderation in eating, I have found great joy in creating delicious menus for my friends. Below I have made using dad's homemade redbud and grape jelly, thumb drop cookies. With Susan's spaghetti squash and kales, I created a pasta dish. Enjoying her lettuce, carrot, herbs and tomatoes in a salad and figs are part of the appetizer. Yummy and fun.





Here are some photos for your enjoyment. The one at the beginning of this blog is my little home office aka guest bedroom/office where I write my blog, sip my coffee and this morning enjoy the tulips from Di on Friday and the roses from Melanie on Saturday night and blended together beautifully. 




No comments: