Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Daily Inspirations

 St. Benedict's life has been an inspiration to how I want to live. Not too many years ago, Matthew, one of my nephews went to boarding school at Subiaco, Arkansas. While Matthew was attending this beautiful school in the Ozarks of Arkansas I became intrigued by the Benedictine Order. "The Rule," is  essentially a guide to holiness and happiness.  Much of what I took from reading a book by Sr. Joan Chittister OSB,  "Wisdom, Distilled from the Daily, Living The Rule of St. Benedict Today." In her book she describes the way of life practiced by the Benedictine Order which includes a balance of:

Listening

Prayer

Community

Humility

Monastic Mindfulness

Work

Holy Leisure

Giftedness

Hospitality

Obedience

Stability

Monastic Practices

Peace

Monastic Vision

While I continue strive to be a better person, the above lists helps me see areas in my life that need improvement "practice" and balance.  I also find in the writing of this blog post, that just reflecting upon each of the above helps me to recall what is most important, experience this moment of peace and mindfulness on this list.  This moment  I have peace, stability, prayer and am listening to God.#joanchittister #subiaco #benedictineorder

https://stellamaris.nsw.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/benedictine-way-of-life.pdf

No comments: