Sunday, July 27, 2008

Rest for the Restless Heart

For the past several weeks I felt restless regarding my life, including my work and my choice to remain single. Recognizing that for me sometimes my restlessness could lead to depression, I knew I needed to do something to change this feeling. Here are the little steps I took to reach out and seek help: I wrote an email to my family to seek their inspiration and my brothers and sisters quickly replied with joyful anecdotes about their families and that lifted me. I called my friend Sheila, one of the dear Murphy family members, who just by hearing her voice lifted me and who invited me camping. Then I taught my yoga class and the students lifted me and lastly in a most blessed gift, Tim, Patty, Olivia and Emily (other Murphy family members) just by chance dropped by my home on their way home from a dinner party. The joy of their presence transformed my restless heart into a beautiful awareness that all is well. In a very spontaneous and unusual decision, I took Sheila up on her offer and went camping the next evening, a Thursday and took Friday off to enjoy a most healing night and Friday day with the Murphy gals and their children. Thank you to my family and my extended family for helping me bring rest to my heart and joy to my life and see that my cup is overflowing. Surround yourself with friends and family and if you don't have friends and family make them. Good friends and good family are the greatest gifts one can have in life, for it is through them, with them and in them that the spirit of God lives and rest is found.

No comments: