Saturday, July 19, 2008

Unbind, inspired by Burkle

Wearing a girdle is quite binding for the body, yet we do so to create a smooth shape. What a relief I felt when I returned home after a long day and many client meetings and removed my Spanx. Just as I sat down to my computer to catch up on the long and unending work related emails my friend Burkle called and we discussed the day's work load, weekend plans and I revealed that I was relived to be freed from those Spanx. We laughed and realized that the girdle's we wear to physically constrain our body's shape became our metaphor for life's other constraints such as frustration, suffering, tension, disappointment and unfulfilled dreams. Burkle and I agreed that often we keep the girdle on too long and not allow ourselves freedom to let go and reveal the joys that are kept bound underneath our girdles of life's stress. Burkle's final words of wisdom for me, "Grecian, feel good in your own skin with or without those Spanx!"

No comments: