Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Warmth of womb

I desire to be tucked into the “warmth of womb.” The stresses of our global community,  our local community and my community: family, friends and those I serve as part of my St. Vincent De Paul vocation, are weighing heavy on my mind, heart and in my  body. In speaking to my sister Catherine Heath this morning, who is also my professional coach, she suggested I take time for myself and consider the warmth of the womb.  This imagery and remembrance of our mother’s womb, a time where we are tucked inside the human body near the heart and major organs, so close to someone as this being in our mother’s womb, lifts the heaviness I am feeling.   Over the past few days I have experienced a deep longing to be tucked in closer to family and friends. I feel today how many have been feeling for the past months. We are separated from one another as we shelter in place, no hugs, no physicality, no feeling the warmth and love of human touch.    When shelter in place started in March, I relished the idea to hide and shelter,  enjoying the quiet and solitude. Now, as shelter in place continues, longer than I expected, I desire to be with others. I see how Adam, from the garden of life story, wanted companionship and touch.  Having another, being loved by another, being tucked in to another consubstantiates the warmth of the womb. This is what I desire, to be tucked into the warmth of womb.

No comments: