Wednesday, May 13, 2020

The night turns to day

My mornings are often filled with a calm that I love. I get up early to be with Joe before he departs for United which gives me the opportunity to watch night turn into day. The sun rising slowly and the shades of light changing the appearance of the landscape is amazing. I often open my back door so that I can hear the morning song of birds, the gentle rustle of leaves and sometimes, in the distance, a Caltrain whistle.  I love the morning. We wake up refreshed as we practice a regular sleep time and routine as suggested by all of the health experts.  Joe and I have been enjoying the beginning of a Calm app sleep meditation. It puts us to sleep within minutes so we have never really heard any of the stories from beginning to end.  The calm before the day inspires me to meditate, to write, to putz, to pray and to be. This quote from Henry David Thoreau resonates with me.
"The morning, which is the most memorable season of the day, is the awakening hour. Then there is least somnolence in us; and for an hour, at least, some part of us awakes which slumbers all the rest of the day and night... All memorable events, I should say, transpire in morning time and in a morning atmosphere. The Vedas say, "All intelligences awake with the morning." #Calm



No comments: