Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Will of God

As a Catholic there is often training, sermons and other catholic instruction on doing the will of God. Even up to age 38 I really wondered what is God's will, and what does it mean for me "to do the will of God". Questions for me included whether God's will was for me to marry or not, keep my career or give it all up for the poor, even buying a home versus living more simply, these were my questions concerning what is God's will. This question of "what is God's will became a source of anger with this God who did not talk to me about what I should do with my life and Who never seemed to save people who needed food, safety, shelter and other needs even more serious than these. I wanted answers from this God. After much frustration, fret and confusion, an answer finally came through meditation, prayer, reading and spiritual direction: God's will was to love. This understanding has brought clarity, peace and joy in my life. God's will for us to love enables me to make choices to love and out of love in everything. This is practical advice and can be better translated as prayer into action e.g., calling someone who may come to my mind in prayer, providing food and or money to a homeless person and when I am personally worried about a family member or friend providing loving service to help them. God's will, once fully understood and lived, brings a peace that truly is lasting. We must be the arms, legs, hands and heart of this God that is somewhere unknown and yet revealed in love.