Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Brilliance from Comedians and Their Audience

Last night I went to see Maria Bamford and several other comedians performing at the Punchline in San Francisco. She provided much comic relief through a range of talent in voices, humor and hand movements for all of us. The others were also enjoyable to see. I have not generally enjoyed going to comedy shows as I feel the tension/anxiety of the performers when people don't get or don't laugh at the jokes. However, this was my third time at the Punchline and what I observed is that the audiences have always been supportive of the performers so much so I could feel the generous hearts of the audience and frequent joy found in the laughter of the audience from the humor of the performer. The power of people to provide support or to denigrate comes at individual levels however the energy then enables the whole crowd to emerge within that supportive acknowledgement. Last night and the two times before the brilliance of the performer and the audience made for a beautiful fun and positively energizing evening. I truly admire comedians and the courage, intelligence and generosity of their authentic mind revealed for all of us to see and enjoy.

1 comment:

Becca said...

gretchen - thank you for the recent entries. Some interesting insight on the comedic front. I guess you did not need me to translate some of the punchlines. Perhaps you are starting to understand subtle sarcasm a bit more. Should I be worried. I have enjoyed reading your recent blog entries. I love you and miss you. Hope this finds you having a HAPPY and successful day. Love, Rebecca XXOO