Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Lilacs from Sheila



Several years ago my friend Sheila Cerna gave me a lilac clipping from her garden. I took this roughly 8 inch clipping and planted it in my front yard and every year it grows taller and blooms more fully. The beauty of this gift is not only the flower but a fond recollection of the giver, Sheila. I think of Sheila, even in early spring as small buds appear. The garden is a place of peace and new growth. I keep evolving my garden with the help of my gardener, my friends and the time I spend nurturing it with fertilizers, and with love. My garden is a safe haven and this year I dubbed it a healing garden following the death of my cousin Lloyd Lee Lott who I love and miss. I went to his funeral and our mutual cousin Cathy Lott gave me some seeds which I planted in his memory. These seeds she and her children help me obtain from the plant that had come from my grandma Lott. She had given a small plant to Cathy some many years ago. My garden also has 3 statues: 1 St Francis a gift from Sheila's dad Bill, one small Buddha I found in a second hand store and 1 monk I got while travelling with Joe in Austin, TX. My garden has history, and for me it has a heart and I always feel better after being in my garden. All are welcome.

1 comment:

Rita said...

Gretchen, this is just how I feel about my yard (can't quite call it a garden yet) and I often reflect on Aunt Kathy (Murphy) when all of my lilies start coming up...and every day when I admire them, now in their full glory. I have several good-sized plants that started with a small gift from her a few years back, and another small potted lily I was able to snag at Uncle Bill and Aunt Kathy's 50th anniversary celebration. Another plant that is thriving is a bergenia that I got from Martha, when she was living in the Burbank Hills, if I recall...The plants from other family members, neighbors and friends make my yard a place I love - though it is fairly wild and rugged, it is so beautiful to me.