Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Detachment, so elusive yet leads to true freedom

So many thoughts ideas and ponderings - are these attachments. Writing is an attachment or is it not the writing but the desire for someone to read and comment - oh that too an attachment. Recently my colleague David, in frustration with the volume of work and the desire to take a long break from it all said "why do we do it?" I know why I do, I am attached to the pride of success, the greed of commissions, the fear of losing the job, the need to be liked, my list could on and on to all my attachments. I stepped back after I said that thinking that was it, amazed by the revelation even to myself of how attached I am to feelings let alone the attachment to the material stuff of life: photos, artifacts, trinkets, books, and so many other little goodies I hold dear in this attached state of being. Even my physical body: attachment to being thin, in shape and better fitness, probably not all that bad to desire health. Joe and I often discuss my need to keep my refrigerator purged, cupboards practically bare, this attachment to something around control, I don't even get this attachment? In many of my spiritual readings they discuss detachment as a way to true freedom. I believe this. I long this and for today I will practice abundance, and know that all I need is within and found in bringing a generous heart to all and hope to experience freedom - oh no is that an attachment to an outcome?

1 comment:

Anastasia said...

Interesting reflection on detachment. As we reflect more on environment, etc. the concept of "footprint" comes up in different ways (like, "carbon footprint"). Even in the appliance world footprint is how much space things take up in a room or on a counter top or desk top.

Detachment would be about lowering my footprint -- using less, taking less.
And somehow about BEING more, GIVING more,
needing less
would that be about loving communion with ALL in creation?