Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Missed Opportunities

So today I ponder missed opportunities when one does not act and then regrets. Sometimes there are big issues such as marriage proposals and other times just getting a chance to go buy a pair of shoes on sale. My nature is to think to much before acting and in the process missing out on some great opportunities. Some 6 years ago I changed all that by beginning to just say YES as often as possible and finding that in my YES's much happens that is good, fun and opens more doors. One big example is leaping into the big mortgage and owning my beautiful little cottage. I was afraid for so long that I would be overwhelmed by the house payment and yet I have grown into it and find my home a great source of joy. Another time my sister needed surgery and what should have been an out patient procedure turned into several days of needed recovery before returning home. She needed someone to stay with her and so without any hesitation I canceled appointments for work and found that staying with Katie became a blessing to my own life, discovering that all things are possible including finding a substitute yoga instructor 2 hours prior to the class. The last and most profound gift of acting quickly was when my Aunt Nadine was dying of cancer and know one knew how long she would live and my mother suggested that perhaps we make visit and so that day I made arrangements to fly down to Southern CA and see her. She died a week a later. To this day, I am so grateful that I acted and did not miss the opportunity to see her one last time in this life. Say YES and find great energy, joy and certainly peace.

1 comment:

Anastasia said...

Saying yes is important.
Sometimes saying no is also important. I don't think I'm wise enough to balance both.
Thanks for sharing.
Saying yes to love,life and opportunity is important. Saying no to ego, manipulation, downloading, abuse, injustice, etc. also important.
Smart enough to know which is which? Wise enough? Loving enough to care?
Anastasia