Friday, May 21, 2010

The road to heaven is paved with good intentions.

I baked a cake several years ago to bring to a friend who had just lost his wife. I put love into this simple gift as I added each ingredient and with each stirring of the batter and as I carefully wrapped the cake to deliver. This gift intended to reduce his suffering through its sweetness, even if only in one bite. This simple cake was clearly intended as an act of love. I can't say that all my actions are altruistic. I want to be that way but often I am swayed by other drives such as greed, wanting recognition, power, fear, and obligation. I intend for my actions to be motivated by goodness, graciousness, kindness and love. With so many demands I often become irritated, short tempered and even with best intentions for action based on goodness, my gifts of service are not seen or become hurtful as I become angry and frustrated with all that needs to be done. My joy in doing good is lost in my over commitment. Today, I will slow down, I will do what I can do, and do it with a heart intended to love. P.S., I am deeply grateful for the God I know who greets me at the end of the road, paved with my "good intentions", and loves me anyway.

No comments: