Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sister Sisters

Tuesday night we had the great pleasure of spending an evening of joyful celebration with our beloved Maryknoll sisters. We shared a meal, told stories of our time in Africa, and learned of the good work they are doing with the Dublin women's jail ministry, crisis centers and the teaching of liberation theology at UC Berkeley. The time passed quickly and yet in those few hours together a bond of love transformed a time of tension and chaos that I was experiencing in my work. Being with the sisters of Maryknoll and my sister Bridget was a gift that has been sustaining me this week that is filled with long hours, tension and frustration. It is amazing the ability to recall Tuesday evening into the next day as a reminder of what is most important in my life: family, friends and presence to the relationships we form with colleagues, friends and people. Sometimes we humans are so fragile; we break easily and must find healing through being with "sisters". I hope today to bring the healing of sisterhood to everyone I meet, for I am called to be a sister to my little missionary world called my career. Sr. Ruth, Sr. Nancy, Sr. Joann, Sr. Becky and Sr. Bridget, thank you.

1 comment:

Joan T. said...

Bring it to me Sister Gretchen!!!