Thursday, November 12, 2009

Knowing what I value is my compass to freedom

In order to begin to free myself from the chains of prison: attachments as written about in my previous blog, I am becoming more aware of what I value. Some years ago I wrote a list of 50 things I valued including my faith, my family, my friends, gardening, quiet time, writing and decorating, and ultimately this list I developed over several months has become a compass for the choices I make in life. I choose to sit in quiet meditation as a way of deepening my faith, or taking trips to see family members so as to stay connected. I have even given up job promotions/opportunities that would prohibit my ability to have time for partaking of the things I value. As I continue to move from feeling stuck in my own prison of attachment, I am actually finding that as I focus on what I value I remove the shackles of my need for security and essentially free myself. The journey continues as it is easy to fall back into the trap of clinging to security and locking my own prison door. In reflecting on this blog, I am wondering if the 50 things I value might also be "attachments". This too I will ponder. For now, knowing what I value is my compass to freedom.

1 comment:

Gita said...

Gretchen, I don't know you well but I'm often drawn to your blog when I find myself wondering how I might begin the process of simplifying my life. I read your blog and another - Zen Habits - for inspiration in this area. I'm moving slowly but surely toward purging things that don't have real meaning in my life. Today I took old paint I've been storing in my garage to a hazardous waste drop off and it may not sound like much, but it was big for me. I'm always sure I will need things again, and sometimes I do, but letting go is feeling good.