Sunday, October 31, 2010

Creating Balance

I am a person who does not like to miss out on anything. I just love activity and being in the thick of life. However over the years this has created a feeling of being overwhelmed, rather than the joy the activity was intended to bring. In this past year of 2010, I a made a personal choice to say no more often and to be more content in being versus doing. I have found balance in my life and balance is a true gift. The more rare occasions when I do an activity, for example having friends over for dinner, I appreciate the time more deeply or when someone at my office drops by for guidance or just to say hi, I feel more grounded and able to listen more keenly. My interactions with friends, colleague and my family are richer. I created this balance in two key ways: creating a list of 50 things I value most, something I had read or heard from Oprah 5 plus years ago, and practicing saying no to extraneous opportunities that were not congruent with this list of my values. This morning as I find time to write in my blog, I feel the balance and the joy that comes from balance.

1 comment:

Tima Love said...

I can relate to this. I have found that in this year alone, I've been able to truly LOVE everyone around me. No matter how busy I am, I try to squeeze a social life. It's always important (and it keeps you sane). The love of family, friends and those you encounter throughout he day (from work, school, out in the street) brings a true happiness into your life.

Keep living positive!
(hugs)