Thursday, January 15, 2009

Walking the Labyrinth

This past Sunday several friends and I walked the Mercy Sisters Labyrinth. A Labyrinth is a winding pathway toward a central place of discovery. One of the beauties of the labyrinth is that it combines meditation with exercise and I find it to be a quick way to relieve stress. As I reflect back to that walk on Sunday, I note three observations: 1. the time with good friends in a silent walk created a bond deeper than that of our years of conversation, 2., recognizing during and particularly afterwards that we all had different needs that day and in our sharing it was clear that at times in our life when things are difficult being with friends is healing, and 3., the power of silence is a way to clarity. Clarity might not include the answer we want, however it generally creates acceptance to what it is. I must walk the labyrinth again soon.

1 comment:

Joan T. said...

Julia felt much lighter after that walk even though she fought against it originally being the teenager that she is and today when she was stressed, walked alone in our local park. She asked me to come join her and I found her sitting on a bench watching three deer just grazing in the grass before her. She said, mom, I think being in nature is what we need to work things out. I think she got this insight by walking the Labyrinth.