Thursday, September 18, 2008

Styx Concert

Last night Joe took me to the Styx concert at the Mountain Winery venue in Saratoga. Not ever knowing which bands sing which songs, it turned out I knew most of what Styx sang. I enjoyed the evening, not only because of the music, but also because of the fans and the way the musicians deeply appreciated their fans. It was this mutual admiration that created a great sense in me of the glory of mature people manifested in this unity of music. Four decades of knowing the music, memories of the time of the genesis of Styx and the richness of the musicians' obvious commitment to their gifts of music and song writing. I could not help but observing the lady next to us who clearly was overjoyed to be there and swayed with her arms in a majestic adoration of each musician and the 4 "buddies" in front of us who clearly were enjoying a time of their own air guitar and air drum playing dance moves, making me think that at one time in their high school days they probably did these same moves in their own bedrooms while listening to Styx on the radio or the record player. Styx continued to play beautifully and not too loudly or was that my ear plugs which Joe knew to bring for me as we had seats just 5 rows from the stage. Throughout the concert Styx threw their guitar picks to a very excited crowd and at the end threw more stuff, Frisbees, "green" bags and other little items with their Styx logo and the fans and Styx seemed to be fully satisfied with the evening. I too left with Joe deeply grateful to have participated in the musical reminiscence of a was probably for most of us a time of great freedom and joy before the responsibility of maturity had begun to stifle us from the simplicity of our high school and college days.

1 comment:

Joan T. said...

You inspired me, I created a blog, now what?