Thursday, October 2, 2008

Shannon

Many thoughts this week ran through my head on matters of the heart and yet the pull of capitalism and need to work kept me from my thinking so that I could get the task list done.

This morning, however, I was again pondering the matters of the week and know that I must write. I spent time with my friend Shannon last Saturday. Here is a young woman, mother of a brand new baby daughter and toddler son and married to a man who has been on permanent disability since shortly after they wed. Shannon's spirit is filled with love and commitment to her family and her friends. She lives life fully knowing what's most important. Shannon is in great shape, here just 6 weeks ago she had Sarah and while I am huffing and puffing up and down the emerald hills in Redwood City, Shannon holds her baby daughter in a front pack while I attempt the steep hill pushing her son, Shannon lovingly says and without loss of breath, "how about I push for a while, the stroller is heavy". I of course, say nothing as I am completely out of breath and just let her take over, now that is a good friend. Shannon your spirit is alive with what I imagine my God be like. While thinking of what I value most, my family and friends came to mind and a tinge of sudden concern that God was not "first" on my list. It was in that moment inspired but something greater than I it was apparent for that the only God I know is the God in Jesus, the God in Shannon and the God within all people. Perhaps this thinking is way beyond appropriate to my Christian faith and yet, as I see God in all people all people become so much more valuable to me. Humanity becomes divine when they push the stroller, care for the sick husband and invite the friend for a walk. Who do you say that God is?

1 comment:

Joan T. said...

I say Jesus / God is in everyone, that's why Jesus came as a man to show us that he is every man. But you are correct, it's probably beyond the Christian faith. I've spent the weekend listening to the Dalai Lama chant a healing prayer.