Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Mad Scientist

Last night was Halloween and it is one of my most favorite nights as I love to put on my warm pajamas, have a glass of wine maybe two, light my candles and eagerly greet the children who come to the door. A little power ranger and his spider man brother were first and then the little princess and batman brother, my neighbors children and then of course a variety of others including a great "Jack" from the jack in the box commercial, quite clever. His friends helped him maneuver down the porch steps, as he was certainly top heavy. The highlight of the night was a little 9 year old (I asked him his age), dressed as a mad scientist. What made him special was that he played the character, and without saying trick or treat he stated that he carried a smoking pipe which he reached into his little white lab coat and pulled out to show me. Over his arm hung a little green umbrella and he carried a simple "green" bag about the size of what you would carry for your lunch. I called to Joe to come see our little scientist who also had some back streaks across his delicate face, suggesting a scientific experiment had exploded and our scientist told us he had many experiments that did not go quite work so well. My night felt complete for I had seen the face of God dress as a mad scientist and I will fondly remember him forever.

1 comment:

Joan T. said...

Gretchen, you are on a blog roll, wow, so many stories in a short time. You are so reflective. I only had 6 kids last night, how sad.