Thursday, November 20, 2008

Life's Busyness

I sat in observation of people on cell phones, blackberry's and other handheld devices as I rode the shuttle bus from the car rental return to the airport following a long two days of client meetings and dinners. All around me the busyness of life was present. I too fill every minute with work, activity, calls, cleaning, thinking, and transacting something. Often I want to slow down and just be. Although, as I have pondered in what little time I find for the thinking rather than the doing, I realize that my own busyness is sometimes a gift. This is contrary to my spiritual being that longs for meditation, silence and peace of mind. The joy of busyness is that I have a sense of purpose, contribution and of expansion to focus and learn challenging new things. I find that the busyness is not only bearable but necessary for my life's quality. In the infrequent time of day dreaming about just being, I know that I appreciate just being more following productive living. In the end I appreciate the quiet and peaceful moments more because of my productive "busy" living.

2 comments:

Anastasia said...

Yes, I think you are seeing that the appearance of busyness is not, in and of itself, the problem, but rather the broader quality of life.

Be peaceful in all, find God in all, then all shall be well.

Anastasia said...

Life's busyness, indeed! Have you given up blogging?
I miss your reflections.