Friday, February 6, 2015

"To be in hell is to drift: to be in heaven is to steer." George Bernard Shaw

In my reading this morning, this was a quote as part of a reflection on balance between busyness and solitude.  "To be in hell is to drift: to be in heaven is to steer." This resonated with me personally, professionally and in observing others who struggle.  Many years ago I was in limbo about a major choice to be married or not to someone I loved but was unsure of what I wanted. In the process of broken hearts, many tears and depression, I found my way through to the other side of that time. During this period of drifting, uncertainty and limbo, I recall that one of my mentors, Chris Perkins, told me, "leaders make difficult choices, and move forward, adjusting as necessary."  It was the advice I needed and was ready for and was life changing. I moved forward and have learned to make choices and steer my course in life. I have taken risks I would not have taken, opened doors that may have remained closed, built courage and in the process I have discovered that heaven is to steer your course.  As many of your know I regularly set personal, professional, fitness, financial and spiritual goals.  I don't always achieve them or keep them, however I review them often to steer my life back to the course I desire to create.  Dream, plan, steer and realize heaven is now.

No comments: