Friday, January 15, 2010

Being on the yoga mat all day

In our yoga practice we begin by bringing our presence to the mat. We do this through sitting and closing our eyes and watching our breath breathe us. This simple practice allows me to feel very present and says here I am mind and body and no where else. I find that being on the mat is a place of great peace of mind and even through the rigor of the vinyasa yoga practice, my body while working is deeply rested. I even have a friend, when he sees me outside of yoga with any agitation or frustration, reminds me to get on the mat. As Judith Hanson Lasater, PhD and a founder of Yoga Journal magazine stated, "Practice and life are not that different. That's a fundamental understanding. I don't do my life any differently from what I do on the mat." This in itself is my practice to bring the peaceful presence and nowness found on the mat to the other activities my daily life.

No comments: