Monday, October 5, 2009

Tree leafs change color, fall away and stand silent

Tree leafs are changing color from green, to gold, coral to red and are beginning to fall gently to the ground. The blanket of fallen leafs nourish the soil while the tree stands silent and bare. Our lives are like trees full of color, and yet we experience an occasional fall season; pain, suffering and loneliness and letting go are like the body, mind, heart releasing the suffering like leafs falling. If only, like the tree we can stand naked and endure the silence, we will come to know the depth of growth and the joy of spring. I don't want to rush this autumn season. To stand fully present to the fallowness and stay with it so that in the silence I can know that God is working to prepare my soul for spring. I recognize as I write this, that in my deep faith, this gift of my faith, I can stand naked and silent for I know spring will come again. This is written for Joan and for all who experiencing a fallowness of heart.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful, thank you, love you

Joan T. said...

Oh my, do you mean me? I have stood fallow, yes, for many years but not without periods of laughter, joy and happiness. There are always glorious people and events in our life so worthwhile that fallowness should never be mistaken for loneliness or sadness. The trees know that the beautiful leaves will return. If only we knew too.

Gretchen said...

Joan, you are the inspiration, and your observation rings true, that fallowness should not be mistaken for loneliness or sadness, and so with editorial gratitude, I shall note that fallowness follows whatever leafs fall, and nurtures the soil of the soul so that spring returns in full color. Thank you Joan.