Sunday, March 29, 2020

Lazarus, Jn 11: 1-14

Today's gospel reading was about Lazarus. For those unfamiliar with the story of Lazarus, it is the a key miracle where Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead. He had been dead for 4 days. It is a beautiful story of Jesus's experiencing even our deepest grief as he wept with Mary and friends of Lazarus. In the end of the story Jesus reminds us He is the resurrection and the life and he raises Lazarus from the dead.  Joe and I now watch our Sunday mass on uTube as we stay sheltered in our cottage here in Burlingame. Today's uTube mass, from Word on Fire, with Bishop Robert Barron inspired my own reflection on renaming the person of Lazarus to Gretchen.  For myself, the question is how does Jesus call me to rise from the dead. I try to live fully, however, I do recognize that more frequently than not I turn on the TV and watch a reruns of decorating shows, surf the web looking at ideas in lieu of doing something, contemplate how to serve instead of getting up to do the work that needs to be done and ultimately die in complacency. For today I shall LIVE in the service of those most in need. Our St. Vincent de Paul Society, here in Burlingame, has needs beyond our usually volume. Many more people now, without work, need food, rental assistance and other material support. I shall go today to be for others.

No comments: